Monday, October 13, 2014

Stretch and Strength

In the last few months, I've altered my workout schedule.
I spend alternating days lifting weights versus cardio work outs.
I also start EVERY work out with push ups.

On one hand, I like how I look.
My arms and chest are bigger and firmer.

On the other hand, the more rigorous work out has suddenly made me visibly less flexible.
My shoulders and triceps feel "tight" all the time...even jumping jacks are uncomfortable for my shoulders as of late.

It's an ironic lesson because when I first started doing Yoga, I liked how flexible I had become.
Like anything, I looked at the poses as a 'goal'...and the ability to perform the pose, and then do it "better" and then hold it "longer" was a personal challenge I enjoy(ed.)

But when I started looking for high-impact, more muscle-building exercises, my interest in Yoga waned and as result...so did my flexibility.

So this morning, in honor of my need and desire to recoup my more comfortable, more flexible shoulders, I'd like to share some important articles I found:

Bobybuilding.com has a great article here about the importance of stretching.
It's written by Al Kavadlo  
Very knowledgable, very interesting guy!
Find him on Twitter @AlKavadlo


If you prefer video, here are 2 yoga instructors showing some basic stretches to perform before upper body work outs:


One more, easy to follow article on stretching can be found here.
Again, it's specific to upper body, body building.


Getting "big" is good, but if you cannot reach a door knob or give a high five, it's for nothing.
Work hard, stretch good, everyone wins.





No comments: