Monday, November 12, 2007

The First Book Yoga Men Need


When I made my mind up that I was going to start doing yoga, I wanted to find a book or two on the subject. I needed to learn the Basic Yoga Poses, but I didn't want to learn it from a 'girly' source. I wanted something written for 'men'.

There were plenty of 'yoga for everyone' titles and even a 'yoga for dummies' I believe...but I really wanted something that said 'here's a Yoga book for beginners that was written for the man. Yes, YOU, sir. Here I am . Read me and become healthy.'


That book specifically was not on the shelf, but I DID find 'Yoga for Men' by Bruce Eric Van Horn. (Copyright 2002). The book comes with a CD that directs you through your yoga work out.
In true 'man' fashion, these basic Yoga Positions are named after something 'business' related, so the Sun Salutation is called the 'Opening Bell' and the BackBridge is called 'Beinding over Backwards for your Customers.
In true Yoga fashion, Bruce speaks slowly and clearly, and there is acoustic guitar playing in the background...but you can only 'man up' Yoga so much. To do Yoga properly, you need to be relaxed and you need to stretch yourself and you need to be calm. You can't take a deep breath and "power lift" your way into the positions.
(What a lot of people don't realize is that the stretches and contortions attributed to Yoga are designed to let more oxygen into your body and to allow your back to 'open up' and allow blood to flow more freely. This gives you a much healthier body, but doesn't take away from your raw strength.)
You'll notice the image of the book cover has that Amazon.com "Search Inside!" logo. I pulled the image from there so I could share the link with you, too. I am not selling my copy and I don't make a nickel if you decide to buy one. But I think very highly of the book/program and you can read more about it here.
Namaste'...





No comments: